Thursday, October 2, 2008

fpu

and, side-note, i'm thinking (and briefly entertaining the idea) of posting my consumer debt on my blog, for the mere reason that seeing it public like that will be SO MORTIFYING that i will not be able to live with the shame, and will have to do something about it.
i'm a firm beleiver in the principle that when people know your secrets, there is a sense of release that comes from that. suddenly, that part of your life...that shame doesn't carry weight anymore, becuase its common knowledge, and you identify it and make strides in a positive direction.
so...i'm thinking about it. i don't know if i want to be known as "that girl with the low savings account and one too many credit cards" though.
i'd rather be known as "the wise financial steward who is a multi-millionaire by 30." but, i don't think that is going to happen so easily.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Shelby that's awesome! I'm not going to encourage you to do it because you have to make that decision but I do know that whenever you went to go make an unnecessary purchase the public "humiliation" of having to announce it might make you think twice. I'm all about telling everyone your secrets to keep yourself accountable, I totally do that! Also if you need an FPU accountability partner I'd love to be that for you. I figured you'd pick the Flecks but since he said not to pick your "shopping partner" I thought you might need someone else. :) But no biggy if not. I'm so glad that you joined that FPU small group. I think in a few years we are all going to be on our way to being millionaires!!! Woo-hoo! GO FINANCIAL PEACE!!! :)

Anna said...

Okay, you're on. Let's get together sometime and we can go over our budgets and talk about accountability and what that looks like for both of us--and where we both need the most help. :)

Also I looked through the workbook after reading your blog, to see how I missed the envelope thing, and we haven't gone over it yet. I think it's good that you started though, why not start early and save as much money as possilbe. Although I do recommend buying food over jeans, even though I DO LOVE a good pair of jeans!!! :)