Friday, December 19, 2008

it happened again!

So, this morning, it was crazy cold outside. I mean, you step outside and you instantly get that sharp inhale of breath into your lungs because its so cold. And instead of my mind going to the "holy crap! cold!" thoughts...it was more along the lines of "must....have....coffee."

without coffee, generally, i'm a zombie. Many years of drinking it has created a severe addiction and if i don't drink coffee in the morning, i'm a sad, sad, mean girl. Forget friendly, cute, loveable Shelby. She doesn't come around. You get horrible, sarcastic, debbie-downer Shelby. The $4 for a latte is a small price to pay so that i can spare everyone around me from getting the "please Jesus come back NOW so i don't have to interact with Shelby" me.

So, i jumped into my classic volv...steered it carefully out of my parking spot, while at the same time warming my ever freezing fingers and toes. Yikes...frostbite.

I drive down to Starbucks and almost instantly become deterred by the long line. Ever since moving to Redding, i don't like long lines. I think there's no need to wait in line for something so long. In Seattle, its a given...hurry up and wait. Here, its pretty easy...drive in, drive out. So, nevertheless, the bucks had a good amount of people this morning...at least 5 cars in the drive through.

I navigate though parked cars to try to get to the speakerbox as quickly as i can.

"hi, morning, grande extra hot pumpkin spice latte."

...chatter from the box about it being cold outside...do i want a pumpkin scone?...3.85 at the window...

"thanks!"

Drive forward, listen to some Kanye (i love his new stuff by the way...it makes me want to go clubbing. but when do i club? never... ok, rewind, it makes me want to listen to kanye in my car going to work. BINGO.

I get to the window really quickly...bucks was on their game this morning. they must employ people who are my nemesises in the morning: perky people without the need for coffee. ugh, annoying.

Anyways, i go to give them my card, and the girl says, "oh, no, your drink's been paid for by the guy in back of you. he says he knows you."

Instant look in my rearview mirror. I don't think i know that grey truck? Do I? Does he have me mistaken for the other white volvo who drives around town? Possibly.

I'm instantly struck with gratitude. That's CRAZINESS. Those small gifts that are so insignificant but put such a birght spin on your day.

I take my drink, ask her to tell him "thank you very much.", wave out my back window and drive off.

So cool. And, especially cool because yesterday i started to get freaked out about money. With going to Philly, it just makes me so anxious that i'll have enough money to get what i need before i go. Even with a small little savings fund, i still get all uptight-Tracy because I need to protect my savings account, and i shouldn't be buying clothes that i don't need, and then there's the unrealistic expectations and all the pressure of doing a good job representing my company.

Oh...I love identifying all stress that i need to let go of. The stress that isn't mine to own. So, with that, i confidently say that I'll be able to acquire everything that i think i "need" in time and in budget, and that I will do the best job that i can.

And, i confidently say that even in the small things, that the Lord knows my needs and wants and when i'm obedient to him, he really does open the floodgates and pour out his blessings, one grande extra hot pumpkin spice latte at a time.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

oh so happy for you...that you got your coffee that is..that's what's important as well all know...

and seriously..I know what you mean about the lines..its the same with traffic..those two things should not exist in Redding...in NY..given..but I get so impatient in Redding..haha